Whether you've damaged your vehicle in an accident, lost it due to theft, lost the policy details, or just plain curious, you'll be needed to educate yourself on the status of the insurance policy of your vehicle. It is important to protect your vehicle and your finances with an insurance policy on your vehicle, whether it is your car, your bike or your scooty.
In fact, the Government of India mandates all vehicles to compulsorily have an insurance policy. As per the Motor Vehicle Act 2019, the fine for the first offense of driving without the appropriate vehicle insurance could land you a fine of Rs 2,000/- or an imprisonment for a period of three months with your license cancelled, or both. The second offense could lead to stricter punishments. Along with the penalty of punishment, the Government of India has also provided methods that have made it easier for the policyholder to check their vehicle insurance status online.
There are two ways to check vehicle insurance policy status online:
1) Insurance Information Bureau: To find details of your vehicle insurance policy like accident history, insurance expiry, RC status, etc., you can use the Insurance Information Bureau (IIB) portal. IIB is under the purview of the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India and is tasked with the collection and storage of insurance data. All records of vehicles from 1 April 2010 are stored in a digital format by IIB.
Before checking your insurance status, note that
- It is mandatory to know the registration details of your vehicle to check the status of its insurance policy online
- Your vehicle has to be registered after 1st April 2010 for the information to be present in the IIB portal
- You are only permitted to search for this information a maximum of three times from a single email ID or registration number
- You may be unable to find any information on a new vehicle on this portal, as the time taken by IIB to receive insurance information can stretch up to two months, you might not be able to find the information on a new vehicle on this portal
The procedure for checking your insurance details with vehicle number include the following steps:-
a. Visit https://nonlife.iib.gov.in/IIB/PublicSearch.jsp
b. Enter all the necessary details as mentioned:
- Name of the owner
- Email id/ Mobile Number
- Vehicle registration number
- Date of accident
- (optional) Place of accident
If any records relating to these details exist on the database then it will be displayed to you, else you can try out the second method.
2)VAHAN e-Services: Vahan is a national registry of vehicles, whose aim is to collect vehicle registration details and make them easily accessible to the citizens of India. There are over 25 crore vehicles registered under VAHAN, from which you can also retrieve the insurance details of your vehicle.
The procedure for checking your insurance policy status through Vahan include the following steps:-
a. Visit Vahan Portal
b. Enter your registered mobile number. If you are not registered yet, click on create account and register using your mobile number and email ID
c. After logging in, enter the registration number of your vehicle and the verification code asked
d. Click on the ‘search vehicle’ option
If any records relating to these details exist on the database then it will be displayed to you. If not, you will have to resort to offline methods i.e. to visit your nearest RTO office and submit your details. Alternatively, check-in directly with your insurance provider for the details